Here is the 2nd installation of “Turkey 30 Ways.” These are all turkey recipes that my family enjoys and I hope you will too!
11th Way: Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot Turkey
Ingredients: 2 lb. turkey breast chunks, 1 Tblsp olive oil, 1 cup pineapple juice, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup soy sauce
- Mix pineapple juice, brown sugar, and soy sauce in a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet. Lightly brown turkey in skillet before adding to crockpot.
- Place turkey in crockpot and cover with pineapple juice mixture.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve with warmed rice.
***If the dish looks too soupy, fry turkey and sauce in skillet until sauce is at a light boil. Boil until it thickens.
12th Way: Crock Pot Sweet and Sour Turkey
For the turkey: 2 lbs. turkey breast cut into chunks, sea salt and black pepper to taste, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 2 large eggs beaten, 1/4 cup olive oil
For the sauce: 1/2 cup brown sugar packed, 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp garlic minced
- In a large bowl, whisk sauce ingredients until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, season turkey with salt and pepper. Add cornstarch and eggs. Mix until turkey is coated with egg and cornstarch batter.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and cook turkey until it is golden brown, usually 4-5 minutes.
- Put turkey in crockpot and cover with the sauce. Stir evenly until turkey is coated.
- Cook 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Serve over warm rice or noodles.
13th Way: Cashew Turkey Stir-fry
Ingredients: 1 lb. turkey breast sliced into thin strips, 1 clove garlic minced, 1/2 lb. sliced mushrooms, 1 medium green pepper sliced, 1 cup carrots thinly sliced, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tsp. granulated sugar, 1 Tblsp cornstarch, 1 cup chicken broth, 4 Tblsp vegetable oil, 3 scallions sliced, hot cooked rice, 3/4 cup cashew nuts
- In small bowl, mix soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, and chicken broth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Cook turkey in oil until done.
- Add garlic, green peppers, mushrooms, carrots, and scallions and cook for 2 minutes. Stir frequently to keep from uneven cooking.
- Lower heat and stir in sauce. Cook until sauce thickens.
- Serve over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with cashew nuts.
***I like to add my cashews before plating. Having a little extra sauce on the cashews is extra yummy.
14th Way: Apricot Turkey
Ingredients: 2 lb. turkey breast sliced 1 – 2 inches thick, 1 – 10 oz. jar of apricot preserves, 1 bottle Russian dressing, 1 package instant Onion Soup Mix, 1/4 cup flour
- Coat turkey breast with flour and place in 9×13 baking dish.
- Mix preserves, dressing, and Onion Soup Mix in a small bowl.
- Pour preserve mixture over turkey breasts.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.
- Serve alone or over warm rice.
15th Way: Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom Turkey
Ingredients: 1 – 1 1/2 lb. Sliced turkey breast, 2 Tblsp olive oil, salt and pepper, 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms (Fresh Baby Bella mushrooms are the ones we like best.)
Creamy Parmesan Garlic Sauce: 1/4 cup butter, 2 cloves garlic minced, 2 Tblsp flour, 1/2 cup chicken broth, 1 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Season turkey with salt and pepper and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until no longer pink in the center. Remove turkey and set aside.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to skillet and cook until tender; only takes a few minutes. Remove mushrooms and set aside.
- Add butter and garlic to the skillet and cook until butter is fully melted.
- Whisk in chicken broth, heavy cream (milk will work), parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and pepper. Bring to simmer and add flour to thicken.
- Add turkey and mushrooms to sauce and stir to combine.
This dish is great served over pasta or rice.
***This sauce is easy and delicious. It works well over leftover turkey. Just add the sautéed mushrooms.
16th Way: Slow Cooker Brown Sugar and Garlic Turkey
Ingredients: 1 – 1 1/2 Turkey breast sliced 1- 1 1/2″ in thickness, 2 Tblsp garlic minced, 1/2 tsp Kosher salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- Add chicken, salt, pepper, and garlic to the slow cooker and mix well.
- Sprinkle on the brown sugar.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
17th Way: Turkey and Pear Skillet
Ingredients: 2 Tblsp cornstarch, 1 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup sweet white wine, 1/2 cup cranberry juice, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 – 1 1/2 lb. turkey breast cut into 1/2 inch strips, 1 cup onion thinly cut, 2 Tblsp olive oil, 3 medium pears, peeled and sliced; 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/2 cup dried cranberries, Hot cooked long grain and wild rice mix optional (Rice mix is optional, but so good!)
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch, broth, wine, cranberry juice, and salt until blended; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute turkey and onion in olive oil for 10-12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in the center.
- Add broth to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the pears, walnuts, and cranberries; cover and cook for three minutes or until pears are heated through. Serve with rice if desired.
***This is another recipe that can employ leftover turkey. Simply sauté the onions; add the turkey and broth; and follow rest of the directions.
18th Way: Turkey and Rice Soup
Ingredients: turkey leg quarter, 8 cups water, salt, black pepper, 5 chicken bullion cubes, 1 cup onion thinly sliced, 2 cups carrots thinly sliced, 1 cup celery thinly sliced, 1 cup instant rice (white or brown are both good)
- Place turkey leg quarter in large soup pan. Pour in water and add chicken bullion cubes. Bring water to boil and cook turkey leg 30-45 minutes or until done. Remove turkey from broth and set aside.
- Bring broth back to boil. Add onions, carrots, and celery.
- Debone turkey meat from thigh and leg and slice thinly.
- Once turkey is sliced, return to boiling broth and add rice. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper soup to taste. Serve in bowl.
19th Way: Turkey Tortilla Soup
Ingredients: 4 – 6 in. flour tortillas, 3 Tblsp vegetable oil, 1 cup salsa, 2 – 14 oz. cans of chicken broth, 2 cups cooked turkey cubed or shredded, 2 1/2 cups zucchini chopped, 1 – 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, 1 – 15 oz. can black beans, sour cream, shredded taco cheese
- Cut flour tortillas into strips that are 1-2 inches wide.
- Heat vegetable oil in large skillet. Cook strips until crisp (only takes a few minutes); remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Rinse and drain black beans and set to side.
- In large soup pan, combine salsa and chicken broth; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stir in turkey, zucchini, corn, and black beans. Cook until all are heated through.
- Serve in bowls; garnish with tortilla crisps, sour cream, and cheese.
20th Way: Crock Pot Turkey and Mushrooms
Ingredients: 1 1/2 lbs. turkey breast sliced 1 – 1 1/2″ thick, 2 Tblsp vegetable oil, 16 ounces of crimini mushrooms sliced, 1 yellow onion sliced, 2 cloves garlic minced, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 2 Tblsp cornstarch, salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, heat oil and add chicken. Cook on medium-high heat until brown, flip and brown the other side. Put turkey in crockpot.
- In the same skillet, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender. Add to the crockpot.
- Place the mushrooms on top of turkey and onions.
- Pour in chicken broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 4 hours on low.
- Remove chicken from crockpot, and add cornstarch to the juices and mushrooms. Whisk until smooth. Return chicken to crockpot and cook until the gravy is thick, usually about 20 minutes. Serve alone or over warm rice or noodle.
I hope these recipes have inspired you to look at turkey in new ways and added some delicious options to your personal home menu arsenal. Stay tuned for the last 10 turkey recipes next week.
By: Melanie A. Peters
P.S. For more of my Turkey 30 Ways Recipes check out: Turkey 30 Ways – Part 1.