Relationships are hard. Friendships should be easy, but as an adult making friends and having healthy friendships is way too stinking hard.
Even if you have lifelong besties, finding time to get together is more challenging than giving the heads of Mount Rushmore a facial. There’s too much ground to cover, too many variables, and the critics condemning your efforts can be relentless.
Here is what I have discovered.
- Hell and high water are going to come. Keep your plans anyway.
- When hell and high water get there, be willing to support your friends; keep dates with those still available; reschedule with those who need it; go with the flow.
- Friendship in adulthood is tough but necessary.
- When camaraderie happens, it must be celebrated.
- Great friends can be found in weird and unexpected places. Accept healthy friendships when they present themselves.